Few experiences offer more adventure than a European road trip. We’ve rounded up eight spectacular routes to take your fancy, whether you desire a foodie’s fiesta or a petrolhead’s paradise.
1Alpine Adventure (160 km)
Bookended between two towns high up in the Italian Alps, this trip leads you over the Swiss border through the hair-raising Stelvio Pass and back again to tour the magnificent Lago di Livigno.
- Drive through the Munt la Schera Tunnel
- Navigate the 48 turns of the Stelvio Pass
- Explore Stelvio National Park
- Visit the natural thermal springs
- Visit the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology
- Go downhill mountain biking
2Nice to Genoa (225 km)
Put on a pair of wayfarers and live the high life on one of Europe’s classiest coastlines. You’ll encounter golden beaches, grand casinos and designer shops.
- Climb the 1,722 steps of Nice’s Castle Hill
- Sunbathe on a private beach
- Visit the Prince’s Palace of Monaco
- Play roulette at Casino de Monte – Carlo
- Explore Genoa’s medieval centre
- Go shopping for Italian designers
3The Autobahn (475 km)
Hire a BMW and push it to the limits on long stretches of road without speed restrictions. Then experience all that Germany’s coolest cities have to offer after dark.
- Visit the Miniatur Wunderlandin Hamburg
- Open up the throttle on roads without speed limits
- Pass through Checkpoint Charlie
- See what’s left of the Berlin Wall
- Experience Berlin’s wild nightlife
- Visit Dresden’s Zwinger palace
4The Amalfi Coast (40 km)
Tightly-twisting roads, sheer drops and steep cliff edges guarantee a pure adrenaline rush on a ride along one of the Mediterranean’s most beautiful coastlines.
- Tour the coastline by scooter
- Cool down with some gelato
- Soak up the glamour in Positano
- Hire a boat from Marina di Praia
- Eat fresh pasta in Amalfi
- Overlook the bay from Ravello
5Transylvanian Trek (500 km)
This loop of Dracula country takes you on a tour of mountains and medieval architecture, with an awesome ride on what might just be the greatest road in the world.
- Visit the Palace of Parliament
- Learn about Vlad the Impaler at Poenari Castle
- Take a boat ride around Lake Vidraru
- Ride the Transfăgărășan Road
- Discover the myth of Dracula at Bran Castle
- Enjoy the nightlife in Bucharest’s old town
6Bordeaux to Bilbao (350 km)
Perfect for those who appreciate the finer things in life, this trip starts in Southern France’s wine region and passes through the major foodie hotspots of Northern Spain.
- Tour Bordeaux’s vineyards
- Go surfing in Biarritz
- Top up your tan on a golden beach
- Feast on pinchos in San Sebastián
- Take a short ferry to Santa Clara Island
- Visit the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao
7Norwegian Quest (920 km)
Brace yourself to travel under land, across the sea and over giant mountains in an epic quest fit for a Viking warrior. A perfect trip for those who thrive in the great outdoors.
- Walk around the old wharf on Bergen
- Drive through the world’s longest road tunnel
- Experience glaciers and waterfalls
- Take on the tight turns of “The Troll Path”
- Drive along the Atlantic Road
- Visit the fairy tale town of Ålesund
8Germany’s Romantic Road (350 km)
Wind your way through Southern Germany’s most charming old towns, taking in lush forests and medieval castles, before ending your adventure up in the Alps.
- Walk around the Würzburg Residence
- Attend a Bavarian wine – tasting session
- Follow Rothenburg’s night watchman
- Spend the night in a medieval village
- Go to Augsburg Zoo
- Visit Neuschwanstein Castle